Does my supervisor have to have the Registered Counselling Supervisor (RCS) designation?
Your supervisor is not required to have the ACCT supervisor designation RCS. They also do not have to be a member of ACCT. Non-ACCT supervisors must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a certificate or diploma; bachelor's degree; postgraduate certificate; master’s degree or Ph.D. in counselling or a related field from a registered school; or equivalent experience and training
- Have completed a minimum of 5 years of counselling practice, including a minimum of 1000 direct contact hours (500 in Canada)
- Have received a minimum of 120 hours of supervision
- Be a member in good standing in a professional association, or belong to a regulatory organization whose members practice counselling therapy
- Have current liability insurance
If your supervisor is not an ACCT member, we do require that you provide us with your Supervisor's name, contact information and their registration number with a recognized professional association.
Can my hours at work count as supervision hours?
If you are being supervised in your work role (by a supervisor who meets the above requirements) and your work involves counselling, then those hours may be counted toward your supervision hours.
Is supervision mandatory for RTCs?
Supervision is mandatory for all ACCT counsellors. To account for your supervision, both you and your supervisor would keep a current log of your direct client contact hours, the hours spent with your supervisor and your supervision reports or evaluation. It is an annual requirement for membership that you report a minimum of 8 hours of supervision per year.
If I have completed 200 direct contact hours with supervision before I am finished my education can I join ACCT as an RTC?
The membership criteria for RTCs includes both an education and a practicum or supervision requirement. Both of these pieces are required in order to qualify. All Registered Therapeutic Counsellors must hold a certificate, diploma or a degree in counselling or a related field, or equivalent experience and training as determined by ACCT Membership Team. These decisions can be made on an individual basis. For more information on the RTC requirements please click on the following link: ACCT Counsellor Criteria.
What are the fees for joining ACCT?
ACCT Fee Structure
Membership Share Purchase: $100.00 (one time fee, refundable upon request when you discontinue your membership)
Application Administration Fee: $150.00 (non-refundable)
Annual Professional Fees: (non-refundable)
- RTCc/ACc - Registered Therapeutic Counsellor - Candidate/Accredited Counsellor - Candidate: $150.00
- RTC/AC - Registered Therapeutic Counsellor/Accredited Counsellor: $290.00
- MTC - Master Therapeutic Counsellor: $290.00
- RCS - Supervisor with ACCT MTC status: $99.00
- RCS w/o - Supervisor without ACCT MTC status: $149.00
- Student: $70.00 (to be applied to RTC Fee, upon acceptance as an RTC)
- Retired: $95.00
- Associate Member Fee: $175.00 (non-refundable)
Is there an alternative to paying with PayPal?
There is an option to pay without a PayPal account. Click the 'Don't have a PayPal account?' button and you should be able to pay with a credit card.
Alternately you can pay through an eTransfer to [email protected].
What are the benefits of joining ACCT?
As part of your membership in ACCT you will receive the following:
- Professional Recognition –includes a Professional Designation, Registration Identification Number and Membership Certificate
- Information, Resources & Online Connections –via the Members-only Forum, newsletter and continued website developments
- Professional Standards of Practice and Ethical Guidelines –we encourage you to review the “ACCT Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice” and the “ACCT Rules”
- Online Directory Listing –promote your private practice, skills and experience to potential clients and verify your professional expertise to professionals in the industry
- Influence with Provincial Regulations –through association outreach to government, provincial regulatory bodies and professional groups, we invite you to become part of the voice in directing where the industry is heading