Supervisors for ACCT Members
Registered Counselling Supervisor (RCS)
- Have successfully completed a Supervision training course that meets the criteria and guidelines set by ACCT of Canada for supervision training courses.
- Hold the Master Therapeutic Counsellor (MTC) designation; meet the requirements for the MTC designation, or equivalent.
- Have extensive professional experience, including 5 years of Registered practice as an RTC or equivalent, or combination of five years registration between ACCT and other counselling association(s)/provincial college(s). Have attained at least a 1000 hours of direct client contact and 120 hours of supervision post-graduation.
- Accept and work within ACCT’s Supervisor Code of Ethics and Code of Ethics and Practice Standards for ACCT.
- Complete the annual requirements for membership, including 30 hours of Competency Development which must include a minimum of 8 hours of supervision and a minimum of 8 hours of professional development or continuing education credits per year and may include no more than 8 hours of self-care.
- Provide clear evidence of details as requested on the application form, pay the professional fees.
Annually provide proof of professional membership in good standing.
The ACCT Registered Counselling Supervisor (RCS) designation, while recommended, is not required in order for a supervisor to be approved for ACCT members.
Non-RCS Supervisors must:
- Be a Master Therapeutic Counsellor (MTC); OR
- Be an instructor employed by a counselling school with a minimum of 5 years of counselling experience in counselling practice in a private or agency setting; OR
Be a supervisor who is not a member of ACCT who meets the following requirements
Non-ACCT supervisors must:
- Hold a certificate or diploma; bachelor's degree; postgraduate certificate; master’s degree or Ph.D. in counselling or a related field from a registered school; or equivalent experience and training
- Have completed a minimum of 5 years of counselling practice, including a minimum of 1000 direct contact hours (500 in Canada)
- Have received a minimum of 120 hours of supervision
- Be a member in good standing in a professional association, or belong to a regulatory organization whose members practice counselling therapy
Have current liability insurance
If your supervisor is not an ACCT member, we do require that you provide us with your Supervisor's name, contact information and their registration number with a recognized professional association.
MTCs providing supervision are required to adhere to the ACCT Code of Ethics for Supervisors.